Apparel Merchandiser act as a bridge between the Buying house and the manufacturing unit. Merchandising is a process in which goods are purchased and sold. Merchandising function involves all activities linked with buying and selling of goods. So in apparel industry merchandiser do a lot of activities and his/her responsibilities are fixed and associated with the merchandising process.
This article presents vast information on the roles and responsibilities of a merchandiser
Responsibilities of Apparel Merchandiser
- Internal & external communication-Information should flow throughout the order cycle (with buyers & with departments, within the company and vendors) from Order confirmation to shipment.
- Co-ordinate various departments – Apparel Merchandiser should co-ordinate various departments such as sourcing, sampling, production, quality assurance, and logistics) for smooth execution and timely delivery of orders.
- Prepare Time and Action (T&A) calendar- Time and action calendar make merchandiser multitasking. Every merchandiser update time and action calendar at least once in a day.
- Sample approval- Sample quality brings bulk order. Merchandiser gets the sample done from the product development department and get it approved from the buyer. If any correction needed in any sample then buyer sends the details to merchandiser and same thing merchandiser convey to sampling department. Merchandiser gets the approval of all the sample systematically.
- Costing -Once all the required samples are made and approved. The most important thing is costing. Win-win costing should be made for both buyers and for manufacturing unit. If the costing is going high then merchandiser should able to negotiations (with buyers).
- On Time delivery shipment percentage- For any apparel industry, one of the KPI (key performance indicator) is on time delivery shipment percentage. It should be very high and ideally, it should be 100 %. To deliver orders on mentioned date merchandiser should track that order on a regular basis.
- Sourcing- merchandiser deals with sourcing team for procurement of raw material in small factories even sourcing is done by the merchandiser.
- Prepare BOM and enter the details in ERP as per BOM- In Apparel industry fabric is given to cutting department with respect to BOM details. A cutting department cannot take more fabric than BOM. Not only cutting but also other departments cannot take material excess than BOM quality.
- Prepare production file – Apparel Merchandiser makes production file and this production file includes approved details from buyer, tech pack, purchase order, and 10-parameter report.
- Get approval from the buyer- Merchandiser takes the approval of tested material and even if any small change happens with the product or raw material or in trims and accessories then merchandiser takes approval from buyer. Apparel Merchandiser uses his mode of communication for approval.
- Advising special precaution to be taken – Apparel Merchandiser conveys the special instruction or special precaution that should be taken in production and quality department.
- Organize meeting – Apparel Merchandiser generally organizes the meeting after approval of pre-production sample.
- Take follow-up of running order and upcoming orders.