This article covers what perspiration fastness and its test. During the test, you should pay attention to the influencing factors.
Perspiration fastness refers to the ability not to fade and not to stain when dyed fabric is perspired. People’s sweat consists of complicate composition, and its main composition is salt. Sweat is divided into acidity and basicity due to difference of people. Textiles contact long with sweat has a large impact on some dyes. Perspiration fastness test is to use artificial perspiration with different acid and alkaline to imitate the sweat situation when human wear textiles, then test the textiles. The machine using to test perspiration fastness is perspiration fastness tester. When testing, textiles sample sewing together with adjacent fabric, is soaked in artificial perspiration, then remove excess liquid; and handle it under specified pressure, temperature, time in tester; next dry sample and adjacent sample respectively; last use gray cards to evaluate discoloration of original sample and staining of adjacent sample.
|Perspiration Test for Textile|
2. Perspiration Fastness Test
2.1 Preparation of Test Apparatus and Materials
Perspiration Fastness Tester(Figure 2), Stained Cup (200mL), Gray Cards evaluating discoloration, Stained Cards, Sodium Chloride (C.P.), Sodium Hydroxide (C.P.), Sodium Dihydrogen Phosphate Dihydrate (C.P.), Disodium Hydrogen Phosphate Dodecahydrate (C.P.) or Disodium Hydrogen Phosphate Dihydrate (C.P.), L-histidine hydrochloride-hydrate (C.P.), Multi-fiber adjacent fabric or single fiber adjacent fabric, Sample to be Tested.
|Figure 2 Perspiration Fastness Tester|
1-Heavy Hammer 2-Spring Pressure Frame 3-Set screws 4-Plywood 5-Stand
2.2 Testing Method
a. Sample Preparation
Same as washing fastness test. Choices of standard single fiber adjacent cloth are seen in Table 1.
Table 1 Choices of Standard Single Fiber Adjacent Cloth
|Choices of Standard Single Fiber Adjacent Cloth|
b. Operating Procedure
To make up artificial perspiration as request of Table 2, and do acidity and basicity perspiration fastness test respectively.
Table 2 Artificial Perspiration Configuration
|Artificial Perspiration Configuration|
- To prepare two combined samples as prescribed requests, and weigh; take acid liquid and alkaline liquid as bath rate at 1:50.
- To put two combined sample into acid liquid and alkaline liquid respectively, soak them completely, then place them at room temperature for 30min.
- Take combined sample out, and use two glass rods to remove excess liquid of it; then place it on sample board, use the other sample board to scrape excess liquid, and place in between two sample board, adding pressure of 12.5kPa and maintain. Using the same method to place another combined sample, but the apparatus of acid liquid and alkaline liquid test should be separate used.
- To place the apparatus with acid and alkaline sample in temperature chamber of 37℃±2℃ for 4 hours.
- Take apart suture of combined sample but keep one short edge, unfold it, and drape and dry it in air with no more than 60℃.
- Use gray cards to evaluate discoloration of original sample and staining of adjacent cloth.