What is Melt Spinning Process?
More light reflection, Attractive look.
Offer glitter-free effects.
Requirements for Melt Spinning
The melt spinning process can be applied to the production of filament when the polymer on melting will give a viscous liquid without decomposition. Following are the requirements for melt spinning:
- The polymer should not be volatile.
- The fibre forming polymer must have melting point.
- The polymer should not decompose in the molten state. (It should not degrade when heated).
|Fig. 1 Melt Spinning|
Steps involved in Melt Spinning
- Feeding of the polymer to the hopper in the form of chips. The polymer chips are feed to the extruder via hopper. These polymer chips should be free from moisture.
- The chips are feed to the extruder & then forced forward through the barrel by the rotating screw. As the polymer moves forward it is softened. When it reaches the end of the screw then the homogenized melt is filtered and guided to spin pack.
- Uniform feeding of molten polymer & filtration in spin block.
- Extrusion of the molten polymer into filament.
- Solidification of extruded molten filament by cooling media, usually air at quench chamber.
- Application of spin finish.
- Collection of filament is a suitable package.
- Post spinning operations for end use properties.
Advantages of Melt Spinning Process
- Direct and simple process.
- High production speed (2500-3000) ft/min.
- Low investment cost.
- No solvent recovery process is required.
- The property of the end products can be controlled by suitable manipulation.
- Can be used for both staple and continuous filament.
- No environment pollution.
Disadvantages of Melt Spinning Process
- It is suitable for only thermoplasticfibre.
- Due to higher solidification rate, structural development of fibre is poor.
- Due to inadequate structural development, maximum strength can’t be achieved easily.
- Heat of input is high.
- Accurate and precise temperature control is necessary.
- Required more proper maintained of machine.
Fibres Spun by Melt Spinning
Polyester, Nylon, Olefin, Polypropylene, Saran, etc.